20 Interesting, Odd or Unusual Things about Me
1. I like dragons (and fairies)!
2. The first blog I ever read was by Kristi Holl through my ICL Children's Writers eNews.
I owned 2 ponies and a horse while growing up. My brother and I each
paid $50 for our first pony. After a couple of days he decided he wanted
his money back.
4. The first podcast I listened to was #85 How to
Support Your Local Indie on Katie Davis' website (March 2nd, 2012) and
then I listened to 3 more the next day.
5. I created my own
writing work space with a desk, comfortable computer chair, supplies,
etc. but I rarely use it because the room is too dark.
6. When my
mom owned her own greenhouse business, I decided that I would never
spend time watering plants every day. Now that I have my own gardens, my
usual rule of thumb is that if a plant can't survive on its own it is going to
die. (But sometimes I cheat and water my potted plants).
7. I love to read fantasy!
Some of the books I read as a teenager: Black Stallion series; Sweet
Valley High series; Nancy Drew; Hardy Boys; (hardcover) Elsie books that
belonged to my grandmother; The Belgariand, The Malloreon, and The
Elenium (series); The Secret Circle Trilogy; The Rowan; Dragonsdawn and
other Pern Books; (started) The Wheel of Time series; Elvenbane; The
Last Herald Mage trilogy; A Man of His Word series; Split Infinity and
other books in the Adept series; and any apple books from Scholastic
that were about horses, mysteries, and magic (oh, and junior romance).
What were my favourite authors as a teenager? I loved and searched for books by:
Walter Farley, Anne McCaffrey, L.J Smith, Robert Jordan, Mercedes
Lackey, Christopher Pike, Piers Anthony, David Eddings, and Dave Duncan.
10. I don't like the feel of sand on my feet!
11. I don't believe in buying pets. There are plenty of animals that need a home. My dog and two cats were rescues.
12. My husband and I have a pet bantam rooster named Harold. (He adopted us!)
13. I got my idea for this list from Julie Hedlund's 100 Random Things.
14. I am very accident prone!!!
15. My new favourite colour is red. It used to be blue.
16. Lilies are my favourite flower, especially if they are red or orange. And I have a mild obsession with Echinacea plants.
17. Unusual names are intriguing: Braum and Genta, Mayan and Kherington
I attended the first, second, third, and fourth annual Shelburne
Writers Festival with my own specially-designated Writer's Conference
notebook in hand and jotted down notes about writing. I did my first
reading in front of an audience (first annual) and the next year E. Alex
Pierce remembered me because of my notebook! I met, poet and singer-songwriter, Tanya Davis (fourth
annual) and after hearing some of my reading she commented that she
guessed I wasn't so nervous after all.
19. Every year, my husband and I hang Christmas stockings that I crocheted.
As a teenager, I took oil painting lessons from a friend of my
grandmother's. I gave one to each of my aunts and uncles, grandparents,
brothers, and I have some in my home. I only have one painting of a
horse. (And I will probably never make another).